Gender Responsive Policies in Artisanal and Small-Scale Mining
The global artisanal and small-scale mining (ASM) sector employs an estimated 45 million people and indirectly supports 150 million. Earlier this year, the IGF Secretariat worked with Levin Sources to release two resources to help policy-makers and researchers better understand the difficulties that women face in ASM.
- Gendered Impacts of COVID-19 on Artisanal and Small-Scale Mining (available in English, French, and Spanish)
- Gender in Mining Governance: An annotated bibliography for artisanal and small-scale mining
To further explore these challenges and advance good ASM governance, the IGF and Levin Sources hosted a webinar with leading policy experts discussing gender-responsive government actions for the ASM sector on the 5th of April, 2022. Speakers shared experiences from government and industry and discussed the following questions:
- What is the current status of gender-responsive policies within the ASM sector?
- How has COVID-19 uniquely affected women in ASM, and what are the key lessons learned for policy-makers?
- How will a low-carbon energy transition impact women in ASM?
- Can new technologies benefit women in ASM?
- Ashley Smith-Roberts, Specialist, Levin Sources
- Ege Tekinbas, Gender Equality Advisor, IGF
- Janet Adeyemi, President, Women in Mining in Nigeria
- Ruth Arpasi, Technical Coordinator, Alliance for Responsible Mining, Peru
- Yaw Britwum, Programme Manager-Responsible Mining, Solidaridad, Ghana
- Diana Gonzalez, Environmental Manager, Alliance for Responsible Mining, Colombia
- Urica Primus, President, Guyana Women Miners Organisation
IGF 18th Annual General Meeting
This year’s event will focus on critical minerals for the low-carbon energy transition. It will be held in-person on November 7–10, 2022 in Geneva, Switzerland.
Moving beyond GDP: The Case for Wealth as a Core Measure of National Progress
Increasing GDP is not necessarily correlated with increased well-being. This seminar will explore adoption of inclusive wealth as a means of moving beyond GDP.
Mapping India’s Energy Policy 2022: How can public support mobilize private investments for India’s clean energy transition
This session will examine how the Government of India has used public resources to support fossil fuels, renewables, and electric vehicles from FY 2014 to FY 2021.