Consumer Demand for Sustainable Products in Asia: Successes and challenges
Asia is home to a majority of the world’s population, and consumption patterns on the continent have significant implications on a global scale.
This webinar presented research findings on the consumption trends of certified and sustainable products in Asia, focusing on coffee, cotton, palm oil, and tea. Various actors (buyers, voluntary sustainability standards, producers) then shared successes, challenges, and potential ways to increase sustainable consumption in Asia.
- Cristina Larrea, Lead, Sustainability Standards, IISD
- Vidya Rangan, Senior Manager, Impacts and Evidence, ISEAL Alliance
- Steffany Bermúdez, Policy Analyst, IISD
- Rajesh Bhuyan, Director, Trustea
- Irvan Helmi, Co-Founder, Anomali Coffee
- Nils Heuer, Associate Programme Officer, Consumption and Production Unit, UN Environment Programme
- Ganesh Kasekar, Representative in South Asia, Global Organic Textile Standard
- Teddy Somantri, Co-Founder and President Director, Javanero Indonesia Coffee
- Nguyen Bao Thoa, Director, Vietnam Rural Industries Research and Development Institute
- Philippa Walker, Programme Manager, Asia Sustainable Palm Oil Links, WWF Singapore
- Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS)
- IISD (2019) Sustainable Commodities Marketplace Series
- Meier, C., Sampson, G., Larrea, C., Schlatter, B., Voora, V., Dang, D., Bermudez, S., Wozniak, J., and Willer, H. (2020). The State of Sustainable Markets 2020: Statistics and Emerging Trends. ITC, Geneva.
- One Planet Network, The Consumer Information Programme (CI-SCP)
- Promotion of supply and demand of Eco-fair Agri-Food processing products in Vietnam
- Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO), How Certification Works
- Sustainable Coffee Platform of Indonesia (SCOPI)
- Trustea Sustainable Tea Foundation
- World Wildlife Fund (2021) Palm Oil Trade Flows From Key Landscapes in Asia: Risks and opportunities for sustainability action
- World Wildlife Fund (2021) Sustainable Palm Oil Uptake in Asia: Where do we go from here?
- World Wildlife Fund Palm Oil Buyers Scorecard (update launching September 28, 2021)
This event was co-hosted by the International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) and Evidensia.
IGF 18th Annual General Meeting
This year’s event will focus on critical minerals for the energy transition. It will be held in-person on November 7–10, 2022 in Geneva, Switzerland.
IISD Sustainability Certificate Series
IISD is launching a new online workshop series for university students around the world on sustainable development, policy engagement, and green economies.
IISD at the WTO Public Forum 2022
IISD will be taking part in various sessions at the WTO’s Public Forum, an annual event that brings together the international trade community to discuss new and emerging trends, including how trade and trade policy can enable a sustainable, inclusive recovery.
To Terminate or Not to Terminate Intra-Regional BITs: Lessons from different economic blocs
This webinar aims to draw lessons from different economic blocs exploring how they deal with existing bilateral investment treaties (BITs) once newer mega-regional or multilateral treaties come into force.