Consumer Demand for Sustainable Products in Asia: Successes and challenges
Asia is home to a majority of the world’s population, and consumption patterns on the continent have significant implications on a global scale.
This webinar presented research findings on the consumption trends of certified and sustainable products in Asia, focusing on coffee, cotton, palm oil, and tea. Various actors (buyers, voluntary sustainability standards, producers) then shared successes, challenges, and potential ways to increase sustainable consumption in Asia.
- Cristina Larrea, Lead, Sustainability Standards, IISD
- Vidya Rangan, Senior Manager, Impacts and Evidence, ISEAL Alliance
- Steffany Bermúdez, Policy Analyst, IISD
- Rajesh Bhuyan, Director, Trustea
- Irvan Helmi, Co-Founder, Anomali Coffee
- Nils Heuer, Associate Programme Officer, Consumption and Production Unit, UN Environment Programme
- Ganesh Kasekar, Representative in South Asia, Global Organic Textile Standard
- Teddy Somantri, Co-Founder and President Director, Javanero Indonesia Coffee
- Nguyen Bao Thoa, Director, Vietnam Rural Industries Research and Development Institute
- Philippa Walker, Programme Manager, Asia Sustainable Palm Oil Links, WWF Singapore
- Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS)
- IISD (2019) Sustainable Commodities Marketplace Series
- Meier, C., Sampson, G., Larrea, C., Schlatter, B., Voora, V., Dang, D., Bermudez, S., Wozniak, J., and Willer, H. (2020). The State of Sustainable Markets 2020: Statistics and Emerging Trends. ITC, Geneva.
- One Planet Network, The Consumer Information Programme (CI-SCP)
- Promotion of supply and demand of Eco-fair Agri-Food processing products in Vietnam
- Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO), How Certification Works
- Sustainable Coffee Platform of Indonesia (SCOPI)
- Trustea Sustainable Tea Foundation
- World Wildlife Fund (2021) Palm Oil Trade Flows From Key Landscapes in Asia: Risks and opportunities for sustainability action
- World Wildlife Fund (2021) Sustainable Palm Oil Uptake in Asia: Where do we go from here?
- World Wildlife Fund Palm Oil Buyers Scorecard (update launching September 28, 2021)
This event was co-hosted by the International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) and Evidensia.
South-South Trade and Voluntary Sustainability Standards: Challenges and opportunities
Webinar exploring new research on how sustainability standards can promote trade relationships that protect the environment and improve farmers’ livelihoods in developing countries.
WTO Agriculture Negotiations and Sustainable Development
These three webinars will offer WTO delegates and capital-based officials the chance to discuss WTO Agriculture Negotiations and Sustainable Development with a focus on domestic support, public stockholding for food security purposes (PSH), and export restrictions.
Trade + Sustainability Hub 2024
Alongside the Thirteenth WTO Ministerial Conference (MC13) we will be running our Trade + Sustainability Hub, bringing together thought leaders from both within and outside governments for a series of conversations on the challenges of building cooperative trade policy that delivers for sustainable development.
IGF 19th Annual General Meeting
This event will focus on sharing mining benefits in the energy transition. It will be held in-person on November 7–9, 2023 in Geneva, Switzerland.