Booksprint 2019: Modelling for Sustainable Development: New Decisions for a New Age
The International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) hosted its first-ever “Booksprint” from June 3-7, 2019, in Montreux, Switzerland.
The event brought together economic modellers, policy analysts, and other world-class experts on sustainability for five days with the following goal: to create a book that captures the range of approaches, considerations, and lessons from using models in developing sustainable development-oriented policies and projects. The project was facilitated by the Book Sprints company, which has run similar projects for international organizations, think tanks, and many others.
The book, Modelling for Sustainable Development: New Decisions for a New Age is now available for download at the IISD website. The book’s co-authors include:
- Andrea M. Bassi, Senior Affiliate IISD; Founder & CEO, KnowlEdge Srl; Extraordinary Associate Professor, Stellenbosch University
- Liesbeth Casier, Policy Analyst, IISD
- David Laborde, Senior Research Fellow, International Food Policy Research Institute
- Max Linsen, Consultant, Adaptation to climate change, IISD
- David Manley, Senior Economic Analyst, Natural Resource Governance Institute
- Nicolas Maennling, Senior Economics and Policy Researcher, Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment
- Howard Mann, Senior International Law Advisor, IISD
- Morten Siersted, Visiting Research Fellow, CDS, University of Bath; Director, FAST Standard Organisation; Founder & Director, F1F9
- Carin Smaller, Senior Policy Advisor & Team Leader, Agriculture and Investment, IISD
- Iain Steel, Independent Consultant
- David Uzsoki, Senior Advisor in Sustainable Finance, IISD
- Johnny West, Director, OpenOil
We hope this book will prove useful to decision makers, economists, policy analysts, and researchers in their work. We also hope that it will help stimulate a new wave of collaborative, innovative decision-making for sustainable development.
A webinar about the book was held on October 21, 2019. The video recording is available for viewing below:
Trade and Sustainability Hub
Taking place on the sidelines of the WTO's Twelfth Ministerial Conference (MC12), IISD's Trade and Sustainability Hub is a mostly virtual event focused on policy issues at the intersection of trade and sustainable development.
COP 26 Halfway Point Webinar
Midway through the Glasgow Climate Change Conference, join the Earth Negotiations Bulletin team to analyze the progress made and what hurdles remain.
Shifting Public Support and Policies Towards a Clean and Just Energy Transition in the Global South
This COP 26 side event hosted by IISD, GIZ, and IASS explores the potential for a fossil-free, clean, and just development pathway in the Global South.
Implications of the Eco Oro Decision for Investment Treaty Negotiations and Reforms
A roundtable discussion on the Eco Oro investment arbitration decision.