Our Issue Experts
Andrea has over 15 years of experience working with governments and international organizations on the development of customized models for the assessment of outcomes of policy and investment across social, economic and environmental indicators.
Andrea has specific expertise in green economy strategies and scenarios, climate mitigation and adaptation, industrial competitiveness and, more generally, in sustainable development. He specializes in the use of System Dynamics, and in its coupling with other modelling techniques. Andrea has implemented various customized (problem-driven and context-dependent) modelling approaches in over 40 countries.
Andrea is the lead author of integrated and sectoral studies presented to several national leaders (e.g., in the United States, Mauritius, Georgia and Indonesia), and has published in peer-reviewed journals (e.g., Energy Economics, Energy for Sustainable Development) and in reports by leading international organizations (e.g., UNEP, UNDP, IRENA, GIZ, WWF). In 2014 Andrea published a book titled Tackling Complexity with Gilbert Probst, professor at the University of Geneva and World Economic Forum. Andrea is also the lead author of the modelling chapter of UNEP’s Green Economy Report and has written national policy documents, strategies and action plans, in addition to chapters for the National Communications to the UNFCCC. With IISD, Andrea has developed the Global Subsidy Initiative – Integrated Fiscal Model (GSI-IF), the Sustainable Asset Valuation (SAVi) Model and the Green Public Procurement (GPP) suite of models.
Andrea is the founder and CEO of KnowlEdge Srl. He is also an extraordinary associate professor of System Dynamics Modelling at Stellenbosch University. His earlier experience includes director for Project Development and Modeling at Millennium Institute, visiting researcher at the Danish National Environmental Research Institute and graduate research assistant at the Los Alamos National Laboratory.
Andrea holds a Ph.D. and M.Phil. in System Dynamics from the University of Bergen in Norway, a M.Sc. in Business and Economics from LIUC in Italy, and a postgraduate certificate in modelling the environment from the Universitad Politecnica de Catalunia in Spain.
- Green Economy Analysis in Georgia: A Sustainable Asset Valuation for the analysis of sustainable infrastructure investmentsGeorgia’s Green Economy Strategy includes infrastructure investments in agriculture, buildings and the tourism sector. SAVi assesses the investment costs, government revenues and co-benefits of implementing the Green Economy Strategy.
- Lake Dal in Srinagar, India: Application of the Sustainable Asset Valuation (SAVi) methodology for the analysis of conservation options The report presents the interim results of the SAVi analysis for developing the business case for the long-term conservation of Lake Dal in Srinagar, India.
- The Sustainable Asset Valuation of the Southern Agricultural Growth Corridor in Tanzania (SAGCOT) Initiative: A focus on irrigationThis report discusses the results of the application of the Sustainable Asset Valuation (SAVi) tool to irrigation infrastructure in the Southern Agricultural Growth Corridor in Tanzania.
- Applying the Sustainable Asset Valuation (SAVi) Tool to the 9.5 GW Offshore Wind Farm, North Sea, The NetherlandsApplied to the 9.5 GW offshore wind farm in the North Sea, the SAVi tool compares the financial attractiveness of the wind farm with other energy technologies under four different scenarios.
- Stormwater Markets: Concepts and applicationsThis paper provides an overview of the technology and financing options available to address the stormwater problem in urban areas. The analysis focuses on policy instruments for incentivising private investments into green infrastructure, specifically through the creation of stormwater markets.
- Sustainable Asset Valuation Tool: Water infrastructureTechnical background document for the Sustainable Asset Valuation Tool of IISD (SAVi) for water infrastructure.
- Sustainable Asset Valuation Tool: RoadsTechnical background document for the Sustainable Asset Valuation Tool of IISD (SAVi) for road infrastructure.
- Sustainable Asset Valuation Tool: Energy infrastructureTechnical background document for the Sustainable Asset Valuation Tool of IISD (SAVi) for energy infrastructure.
- Sustainable Asset Valuation Tool: BuildingsTechnical background document for the Sustainable Asset Valuation Tool of IISD (SAVi) for buildings.
- Zombie Energy: Climate benefits of ending subsidies to fossil fuel productionThis working paper explains how different production subsidies currently unlock “zombie energy” from fossil fuel deposits that would not be commercially viable to produce without government support. It also presents new modelling of the global removal of certain subsidies to fossil fuel production.
- Tackling Fossil Fuel Subsidies and Climate Change: Levelling the energy playing fieldSubsidies for the consuption of fossil fuels were estimated at US$550 billion in 2013, according to the International Energy Agency.
- Fossil-Fuel Subsidies and Climate Change: Options for policy-makers within their Intended Nationally Determined ContributionsThis paper reviews international models of fossil-fuel subsidy reform and greenhouse gas emissions to support parties to the United Nations...