Sustainable Food Systems in Canada: Building a vision for IISD
In 2021, IISD completed an exercise to examine how and whether we could better engage on sustainable food systems policy and research in Canada. To do this, we conducted surveys and workshops with IISD staff and held interviews with external expert stakeholders at the forefront of sustainable food systems work in Canada. Through the project, we identified research themes and areas of work where IISD could potentially support Canadian policy conversations, building on our existing expertise and capacity. This summary report highlights the key findings of our internal exercise.
- Some of the research themes we identified include:
- Trade and sustainability tensions
- Labour and market issues
- Access, agency, and food security
- Climate risks and impacts in food production
- Agricultural land use, water use, and biodiversity
We identified the following areas that require scaled up work, where IISD could add value:
- Advising on how to effectively reduce emissions in the Canadian food system
- Supporting evidence-based policy solutions for sustainable agriculture
- Tracking key data on food systems and supporting food systems literacy
- Evaluating fiscal barriers and opportunities to support resiliency in agriculture
- Promoting a holistic and equitable approach to policy development for sustainable food systems
This project, supported by IISD staff members from various programs, aims to inform and inspire future discussions and action on sustainable food systems, including collaboration with other actors in this space.
You might also be interested in
Sustainable Food Systems in Canada
IISD undertook a scoping exercise to hear from our staff, civil society, and policy partners about what they see as some of the biggest challenges in charting a path to sustainable food systems in Canada.
Sustainable Food Systems in Canada: International trade
What are the sustainability implications of Canada's agricultural exports?
Sustainable Food Systems in Canada: Water use
What steps are needed to address the growing demand for water in Canadian agriculture?
Sustainable Food Systems in Canada: Agriculture and greenhouse gas emissions
What actions can be taken in Canada to lower greenhouse gas emissions from the agricultural sector?