Investment Treaty News (ITN), Volume 9, Issue 2, July 2018
Investment Treaty News (ITN) is IISD’s flagship journal on international investment law and policy.
- The 2018 Draft Dutch Model BIT: A critical assessment, by Bart-Jaap Verbeek and Roeline Knottnerus
- The Case Against Third-Party Funding in Investment Arbitration, by Frank J. Garcia
- Making the Right to Regulate in Investment Law and Policy Work for Development: Reflections from the South African and Brazilian experiences, by Fabio Morosini
- Conflicts between Latin American Countries and Transnational Corporations: The challenges of the region in the face of asymmetrical investment treaties, by Jorge Marchini, Josefina Morales and Gabriela Roffinelli
Summaries and analysis of recent arbitration awards and decisions:
- ICSID tribunal finds Spain in breach of the FET standard under the Energy Charter Treaty (Masdar Solar & Wind Cooperatief U.A. v. The Kingdom of Spain, ICSID Case No. ARB/14/1), by Trishna Menon
- Kosovo’s jurisdictional objections prevail against claims of German investor (ACP Axos Capital GMBH v. Republic of Kosovo, ICSID Case No. ARB/15/22), by Kirrin Hough
- UNCITRAL tribunal declines jurisdiction as France–Mauritius BIT does not apply to dual national investor (Dawood Rawat v. The Republic of Mauritius, PCA Case 2016-20), by Pietro Benedetti Teixeira Webber
- Investor ordered by ICSID tribunal to pay Canadian government CAD 9 million following failed NAFTA claim (Mercer International Inc. v. Government of Canada, ICSID Case No. ARB(AF)/12/3), by Matthew Levine
- Luxembourg fund awarded EUR 53.3 million for FET breach arising out of Spain’s curtailment of renewable energy incentive schemes (Novenergia II - Energy & Environment (SCA) (Grand Duchy of Luxembourg), SICAR v. The Kingdom of Spain, SCC Case No. 063/2015), by Gladwin Issac
Visit www.iisd.org/itn for back issues of ITN, as well as news updates.
You might also be interested in
The Proposed Multilateral Framework on Investment Facilitation
This paper examines the proposed multilateral framework on investment facilitation and how it relates to existing trade and investment agreements.
Investment Facilitation: History and the latest developments in the structured discussions
This negotiating brief was prepared for the January 28, 2020 seminar in Geneva on the Joint Statement Initiative on Investment Facilitation.
A Fair Shake: How investment policy can support sustainable development
IISD experts are pushing for reform and offering their expertise to ensure good policy isn't held back by the threat of arbitration.
Trade Agreements and the World Trade Organization: Lessons for the Micro, Small, and Medium-Sized Enterprises Joint Statement Initiative
This paper examines the provisions that relate to micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) in regional trade agreements and the World Trade Organization (WTO) agreements.