Investment Treaty News (ITN), Volume 9, Issue 2, July 2018
Investment Treaty News (ITN) is IISD’s flagship journal on international investment law and policy.
- The 2018 Draft Dutch Model BIT: A critical assessment, by Bart-Jaap Verbeek and Roeline Knottnerus
- The Case Against Third-Party Funding in Investment Arbitration, by Frank J. Garcia
- Making the Right to Regulate in Investment Law and Policy Work for Development: Reflections from the South African and Brazilian experiences, by Fabio Morosini
- Conflicts between Latin American Countries and Transnational Corporations: The challenges of the region in the face of asymmetrical investment treaties, by Jorge Marchini, Josefina Morales and Gabriela Roffinelli
Summaries and analysis of recent arbitration awards and decisions:
- ICSID tribunal finds Spain in breach of the FET standard under the Energy Charter Treaty (Masdar Solar & Wind Cooperatief U.A. v. The Kingdom of Spain, ICSID Case No. ARB/14/1), by Trishna Menon
- Kosovo’s jurisdictional objections prevail against claims of German investor (ACP Axos Capital GMBH v. Republic of Kosovo, ICSID Case No. ARB/15/22), by Kirrin Hough
- UNCITRAL tribunal declines jurisdiction as France–Mauritius BIT does not apply to dual national investor (Dawood Rawat v. The Republic of Mauritius, PCA Case 2016-20), by Pietro Benedetti Teixeira Webber
- Investor ordered by ICSID tribunal to pay Canadian government CAD 9 million following failed NAFTA claim (Mercer International Inc. v. Government of Canada, ICSID Case No. ARB(AF)/12/3), by Matthew Levine
- Luxembourg fund awarded EUR 53.3 million for FET breach arising out of Spain’s curtailment of renewable energy incentive schemes (Novenergia II - Energy & Environment (SCA) (Grand Duchy of Luxembourg), SICAR v. The Kingdom of Spain, SCC Case No. 063/2015), by Gladwin Issac
Visit www.iisd.org/itn for back issues of ITN, as well as news updates.