Investment Treaty News (ITN), Volume 9, Issue 1, April 2018
Investment Treaty News (ITN) is IISD’s flagship journal on international investment law and policy.
- Achmea: The Beginning of the End for ISDS in and with Europe? By Laurens Ankersmit
- Withdrawal of Consent to Investor–State Arbitration and Termination of Investment Treaties, by Lise Johnson, Jesse Coleman and Brooke Güven
- An interview with Luis Guillermo Vélez – Director-General of Colombia's National Agency for the Legal Defense of the State
Summaries and analysis of recent arbitration awards and decisions:
- ICSID tribunal finds Latvia breached FET under Latvia–Lithuania BIT (UAB E Energija v. Republic of Latvia, ICSID Case No. ARB/12/33), by Gladwin Issac
- ICSID tribunal declines jurisdiction: Timor-Leste never consented to ICSID arbitration (Lighthouse Corporation Pty Ltd and Lighthouse Corporation Ltd, IBC v. Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste, ICSID Case No. ARB/15/2), by Trishna Menon
- ICSID tribunal dismisses expropriation case against Venezuela on jurisdictional grounds (Fábrica de Vidrios Los Andes, C.A. and Owens-Illinois de Venezuela, C.A. v. Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, ICSID Case No. ARB/12/21), by Bettina Müller
- Solar energy claims brought by German investors against Czechia are dismissed (Jürgen Wirtgen, Stefan Wirtgen, Gisela Wirtgen and JSW Solar (zwei) GmbH & Co. KG v. Czech Republic, PCA Case No. 2014-03), by Mintewab Abebe
- Venezuela held liable for unlawful expropriation of fertilizer plants (Koch Minerals Sárl and Koch Nitrogen International Sárl v. The Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, ICSID Case No. ARB/11/19), by Claudia Arietti
Visit www.iisd.org/itn for back issues of ITN, as well as news updates.