NBI Academy: 5-Week Live Online Program
This 5-week live online program aims to empower policy-makers, infrastructure planners, and investors to appreciate and analyze the economic performance and co-benefits of NBI, in comparison with “built” or “grey” infrastructure.
The live program will take place from September 12 to October 12, 2023, featuring 90-minute sessions at 4 p.m. CEST on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
We will focus on one of the five course modules per week: nature-based infrastructure, infrastructure planning, systems thinking and system dynamics models, climate data and spatial modeling, and financing NBI. The live program combines the interactive sessions with self-paced learning materials, so you will use these to prepare or to reflect on the session.
The live sessions give you the opportunity to ask questions to experts from the NBI Global Resource Centre, exchange experiences with other participants from around the world, and dive deeper into the course topics through interactive exercises.
Please register if you would like to take part in the program. You will receive a login to this site where you can access all of the materials and [program schedule. Once logged in, you will be able to access the zoom link where you can sign up for the live sessions.
The training is free of charge and we will award you with a certificate after the course is completed. You can attend selected sessions only, but we strongly recommend you join us for the entire program.
Participants will learn how to:
- Identify nature-based infrastructure (NBI) and its opportunities for climate adaptation and sustainable development.
- Make the case for NBI by explaining its potential economic, environmental, and social benefits.
- Understand the risk profile and the climate resilience benefits of NBI compared to grey infrastructure.
- Explain the basics of systems thinking, system dynamics models, spatial analysis, climate data and financial modelling applied to NBI.
- Appreciate the results of integrated cost-benefit analyses for NBI.
- Use case studies of NBI projects from across the world as context for their work.
IISD at Adaptation Futures 2023
IISD will take part in several events at the Adaptation Futures 2023 conference in Montreal, Canada.
Building Bridges: Outcomes-Based Financing for Nature-Based Infrastructure
We will run a session at Building Bridges, 2023, where we will discuss the effectiveness of outcomes-based financing for nature-based infrastructure projects
Trade + Sustainability Hub 2024
Alongside the Thirteenth WTO Ministerial Conference (MC13) we will be running our Trade + Sustainability Hub, bringing together thought leaders from both within and outside governments for a series of conversations on the challenges of building cooperative trade policy that delivers for sustainable development.
IGF 19th Annual General Meeting
This event will focus on sharing mining benefits in the energy transition. It will be held in-person on November 7–9, 2023 in Geneva, Switzerland.