Standards and the Sustainable Development Goals: Leveraging sustainability standards for reporting on SDG progress
The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development outlines an ambitious vision for people and the planet. It sets out 17 goals and 169 targets for the global community to work together to achieve by 2030—ranging from boosting climate action and eradicating poverty to ensuring gender equality, halting biodiversity loss, and conserving natural resources.
However, progress toward achieving this vision has stalled following setbacks caused by unexpected events, such as the COVID-19 pandemic, conflicts, and the food and energy crises. How can voluntary sustainability standards (VSSs) help governments to stay on track in their pursuit of the 2030 Agenda?
This event shared the findings of a new IISD SSI Review: Standards and the Sustainable Development Goals: Leveraging sustainability standards for reporting on SDG progress. It explored how governments can work with VSSs to advance the SDGs and better track and report progress toward achieving them.
The report includes three case studies from India, Tanzania, and Uganda to demonstrate how VSSs can help governments prepare voluntary national reviews for the High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development, which outline their progress on advancing the SDGs in their jurisdictions.
- Cristina Larrea, Lead II, Sustainability Standards, IISD
- Sakiko Fukuda-Parr, Chair, UN Committee for Development Policy
Confirmed speakers and panelists
- Elena Kosolapova, Senior Policy Advisor, SDG Knowledge Hub Content Editor, IISD
- Alex Lwakuba, Commissioner for Crop Production, Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry, and Fisheries of Uganda
- Chariton Namuwoza, Chief Executive Officer, National Organic Agricultural Movement of Uganda
- Rijit Sengupta, Chief Executive Officer, Center for Responsible Business, India
- Lynn Wagner, Senior Director, Tracking Progress Program, IISD
- Uchita de Zoysa, Chairman, Global Sustainability Solutions, Former Chief Negotiator for the UN SDGs and Advisor to the Minister of Sustainable Development and Wildlife, Sri Lanka
This webinar included interpretation in English, French, and Spanish.
Global Conference on The Future of Resource Taxation
Global event convening officials from ministries of mining, finance, and revenue authorities as well as industry, civil society, academia, and international organizations.
Stocktake: Need for action on fossil fuel subsidy reform and shifting of other public financial flows
This side event of the Bonn Climate Change Conference SB 58 will call for renewed momentum on reforming fossil fuel subsidies and shifting public financial flows to clean energy.
High-Level Political Forum 2023 Debrief
A brief snapshot of the proceedings at the 2023 High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development and the challenges in the coming year.
What to expect at the HLPF: Building momentum towards the SDG Summit and beyond
The SDG Lab, Cepei, and IISD will host a virtual briefing and question/answer session on the 2023 High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF)