14th Annual Forum of Developing Country Investment Negotiators
The 14th Annual Forum is scheduled to take place in Abuja, Nigeria, from 11th to 13th of October, 2022. The theme of this event will be “Coherence in International Investment Governance, Crafting a Holistic Approach to Investments that Work for Sustainable Development.”
Since the inaugural event in 2007, the Annual Forum has grown to become the premier platform for delegates from developing and emerging economies to convene and discuss the latest developments in investment law and policy.
This year, the forum will include several panel discussions on the following topics (subject to change):
- Recent Developments in International Investment Law, Policy-Making, and Arbitration in an Era of Overlapping Crises
- Horizontal Coherence: Understanding the relationship between international investment law and other international laws
- Vertical Coherence: Understanding the interaction among different levels of legal and policy instruments governing investment
- Coherence in Investment Dispute Settlement: Global and regional processes
- Bringing It All Together: Identifying key building blocks to ensure coherent investment policy-making
- Guiding Principles for Crafting a Holistic Approach to Investment for Sustainable Development
Participants will also get the chance to discuss the following topics during breakout sessions:
- Sharing Recent Developments and Practical Experiences in Reforming Existing Old-Generation Investment Treaties
- Reflecting on Options to Integrate Other Components of Sustainable Development in Ongoing Investment Negotiations and Reform Processes
- Developing a Selection of Enabling Mechanisms to Ensure Coherent International Investment Governance
At the end of the forum, participants will have the opportunity to network and reconnect with each other after two years without an in-person forum.
Event sessions will also be broadcast for virtual attendees. More information on registration will be provided soon.
13th Annual Forum of Developing Country Investment Negotiators
The 13th Annual Forum was hosted by Thailand and took place virtually in 2020 with the theme: Investment Policymaking During COVID-19 and Beyond
12th Annual Forum of Developing Country Investment Negotiators
The 12th Annual Forum took place in 2019 in Cartagena, Colombia, with the theme: Shifting International Investment Law Toward Sustainable Development
11th Annual Forum of Developing Country Investment Negotiators
The 11th Annual Forum took place in Nairobi, Kenya, in 2018 with the theme: The Changing World of Investment Negotiations
10th Annual Forum of Developing Country Investment Negotiators
The 10th Annual Forum took place in 2016 in Colombo, Sri Lanka, with the theme: Reshaping Investment Law and Policy to Support the 2030 Development Agenda