Global Market Report: Sugar cane prices and sustainability
This report explores recent market trends in the sugar cane sector, what these trends mean for producers in developing countries, and what sustainability standards, governments, and private sector actors can do to improve farmers' incomes.
Cultivating and processing sugar cane provides livelihoods for over 100 million people in 120 countries, particularly in Brazil, Thailand, India, and South Africa. But, many sugar cane farmers live in poverty.
In 2019, at least 136 million tonnes of sugar cane produced by >37,000 farmers complied with sustainability standards such as @Bonsucro or @FAIRTRADE-representing ~8% of global production.
In 2019, sugar cane producers in Brazil, India, and Thailand who complied with @FAIRTRADE may have received prices up to 13% higher when receiving premiums—rising to 20% higher when also Organic certified.
Sugar cane is an ancient agricultural commodity that has been sustaining sugar cravings across the globe for thousands of years. Today, over 80% of sugar cane is converted into cane sugar and used as a sweetener for a wide variety of food and drinks. The remaining 20% is converted into biofuel, as it’s one of the most efficient crops at converting sunlight into energy.
Sugar cane is considered one of the most valuable agricultural commodities in the world. As a result, cultivating and processing sugar cane provides livelihoods for more than 100 million people in 120 countries. However, the value of sugar is much higher than the value of the cane from which it is produced. Low farm gate prices, coupled with high production costs and intense competition, mean that many smallholder farmers in developing countries live in poverty.
These farmers must also grapple with various sustainability challenges, including crop losses caused by climate change, pests and diseases, biodiversity loss, and water depletion. In recent years, they have had to cope with additional challenges brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic and ongoing global economic uncertainty, such as drops in demand and soaring fertilizer and labour costs.
Voluntary sustainability standards (VSSs) such as Bonsucro and ProTerra Foundation have been working to overcome some of these challenges in the sugar cane sector for more than 10 years. These VSSs set sustainability requirements for sugar cane farmers and mills to meet in exchange for certifying their product as VSS-compliant and gaining market recognition. Today, nearly 8% of sugar cane produced complies with one of these VSSs.
However, it is unclear whether VSSs in the sugar cane sector have a significant impact on farmers’ incomes and livelihoods. There is some evidence to suggest that VSS-compliant farmers may receive higher prices when they receive premiums for their produce, but a lack of demand for sustainable cane sugar means that often, VSS-compliant sugar is not sold as such—and, thus, without a premium.
Heavy regulations in major producing and consuming countries and the complexity of the sugar cane value chain make it difficult for industry stakeholders acting alone to have a meaningful impact. This report provides recommendations for how governments, private sector actors, and standard-setting bodies can work together to make sugar cane production fairer and more sustainable.
You might also be interested in
Global Market Report: Tea prices and sustainability
This report explores recent market trends in the tea sector and explains why we need to get better at recognizing the social and environmental costs of tea production.
South-South Trade and Voluntary Sustainability Standards
This report explores how voluntary sustainability standards are being used in trade policy to increase the trade of more sustainable products between developing countries.
Global Market Report: Palm oil prices and sustainability
This report unpacks market trends in the palm oil sector and examines the role of sustainability standards in ensuring farmers receive fair incomes and adopt sustainable practices.
Global Market Report: Banana prices and sustainability
This report explores market trends in the banana industry and how standards and other supply chain actors can build producers' resilience to sustainability challenges.