Investment Treaty News (ITN), Volume 9, Issue 3, October 2018
Investment Treaty News (ITN) is IISD’s flagship journal on international investment law and policy.
- A Critical Review of the Debate on Investment Facilitation, by Luciana Ghiotto
- Reforming Investment Treaties: Does treaty design matter?, by Tarald Laudal Berge and Wolfgang Alschner
- New Egyptian Investment Law: Eyes on sustainability and facilitation, by Moataz M. Hussein
- Toward an International Convention on Business and Human Rights, by Carlos Lopez
- International Investment Law and Sustainable Development: Key cases from the 2010s, by Stefanie Schacherer, edited by Nathalie Bernasconi-Osterwalder and Martin Dietrich Brauch
Summaries and analysis of recent arbitration awards and decisions:
- ICSID tribunal finds Croatia in breach of expropriation obligations under Austria–Croatia BIT (Georg Gavrilović and Gavrilović D.O.O. v. Republic of Croatia, ICSID Case. No. ARB/12/39), by Kirrin Hough
- Spain found to have breached the Energy Charter Treaty in award by ICSID tribunal (Antin Infrastructure Services Luxembourg S.à.r.l. and Antin Energia Termosolar B.V. v. The Kingdom of Spain, ICSID Case No. ARB/13/31), by Trishna Menon
- Cypriot investor awarded EUR 18 million for expropriation and violation of national treatment and FET (Olin Holdings Limited v. State of Libya, ICC Case No. 20355/MCP), by Pietro Benedetti Teixeira Webber
- The Czech Republic fends off another claim in relation to their renewable energy scheme (Antaris Solar GmbH and Dr. Michael Göde v. Czech Republic, PCA Case No. 2014-01), by Joseph Paguio
- ICSID tribunal awards compensation for the seizure of power generation vessels, dismisses Pakistan’s counterclaim (Karkey Karadenize Elektrik Uretim A.S. v. Islamic Republic of Pakistan, ICSID Case No. ARB/13/1), by Amr Arafa Hasaan
- PCA tribunal holds India liable for unlawful expropriation and FET breach under India–Mauritius BIPA (CC/Devas (Mauritius) Ltd., Devas Employees Mauritius Private Limited., and Telcom Devas Mauritius Limited v. The Republic of India, PCA Case No. 2013-09), by Gladwin Issac
Visit www.iisd.org/itn for back issues of ITN, as well as news updates.