A WTO Fisheries Subsidies Deal: What it means and why it matters
This session is being organized by the Pew Charitable Trusts and IISD. Panellists will look at how a successful WTO agreement on curbing subsidies for overfishing could pave the way for a stronger multilateral trade and environment agenda. The proposed event will provide expert views and a forum for discussion of what the new agreement means and why it matters for the ocean and the multilateral trading system. Panellists will also consider how the agreement’s implementation will be a catalyst for sustainable trade and a sustainable future.
- Chris Costello, Co-director of the Sustainable Fisheries Group, University of California, Santa Barbara
- Richard Damania, Chief Economist of the Sustainable Development Practice Group, The World Bank Group
- Sebastian Mathew, Executive Director, International Collective in Support of Fishworkers (ICSF)
- Alexandre Parola, Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the WTO, Permanent Mission of Brazil to the WTO
- Alice Tipping, Lead, Sustainable Trade and Fisheries Subsidies, IISD
Trade and Sustainability Hub
Taking place on the sidelines of the WTO's Twelfth Ministerial Conference (MC12), IISD's Trade and Sustainability Hub is a mostly virtual event focused on policy issues at the intersection of trade and sustainable development.
COP 26 Side Event | The Subsidy Swap: Reform and reallocate subsidies from fossil fuels to deliver a fair energy transition
This hybrid COP 26 Nordic Pavilion side event will explore the case for reforming fossil fuel subsidies and reallocating funds to clean energy.
COP 26 Halfway Point Webinar
Midway through the Glasgow Climate Change Conference, join the Earth Negotiations Bulletin team to analyze the progress made and what hurdles remain.
COP 26 Side Event: Shifting Public Support and Policies Towards a Clean and Just Energy Transition in the Global South
This COP 26 side event hosted by IISD, GIZ, and IASS explores the potential for a fossil-free, clean, and just development pathway in the Global South.