A WTO Fisheries Subsidies Deal: What it means and why it matters
This event was part of IISD's participation in the 2021 WTO Public Forum.
This session was organized by the Pew Charitable Trusts and IISD. Panellists looked at how a successful WTO agreement on curbing subsidies for overfishing could pave the way for a stronger multilateral trade and environment agenda. The event provided expert views and a forum for discussion of what the new agreement means and why it matters for the ocean and the multilateral trading system. Panellists also considered how the agreement’s implementation will be a catalyst for sustainable trade and a sustainable future.
- Chris Costello, Co-director of the Sustainable Fisheries Group, University of California, Santa Barbara
- Richard Damania, Chief Economist of the Sustainable Development Practice Group, The World Bank Group
- Sebastian Mathew, Executive Director, International Collective in Support of Fishworkers (ICSF)
- Alexandre Parola, Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the WTO, Permanent Mission of Brazil to the WTO
- Alice Tipping, Lead, Sustainable Trade and Fisheries Subsidies, IISD
Trade and Sustainability Hub 2024
Alongside the Thirteenth WTO Ministerial Conference (MC13) we will be running our Trade + Sustainability Hub, bringing together thought leaders from both within and outside governments for a series of conversations on the challenges of building cooperative trade policy that delivers for sustainable development.
2024 Investment Policy Forum
The 16th edition of the International Institute for Sustainable Development's (IISD) Investment Policy Forum will be held in Manila, the Philippines, in October 2024.
Introductory Workshop on International Investment Law: Madagascar
An introductory workshop on international investment law for Madagascar government officials.
IISD at Procura+
Public procurement can play a key role in strategic governance, ensuring service delivery that achieves value for money and generates benefits not only for organizations, but also for the environment, society and the economy. IISD's Procurement team will present key research on green public procurement.