Strengthening Alignment Between Adaptation to Climate Change – Disaster Risk Management – Sustainable Development
In 2015, the global community adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the Paris Agreement and the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR); all of which have substantial areas of overlap and clear convergence of objectives related to strengthening resilience, fostering sustainable development and reducing vulnerability to climate change and disasters.
The global agendas provide the overarching frame for guiding national policy efforts on DRM, CCA and SDGs, as national governments are working to operationalize the commitments under these international agreements. Within countries, a number of policy processes and strategies have been established under these global agendas. These include National Adaptation Plan (NAP) processes, Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs), strategies to achieve the SDGs and DRR strategies. Building strategic linkages and coordinating actions of the policy processes will likely maximize the outcome of related goals, increase the effectiveness of different actions and enable smart use of resources.
To date, the research on good examples of coherent policy processes under different agendas is limited. This webinar aimed at NAP teams, DRR practitioners and other stakeholders interested in getting started on aligning different policy processes by identifying enabling factors and learn about first efforts and good practices from country examples. In particular, it will:
- Provide background on the rationale for alignment and where the different global agendas connect
- Present national approaches to coherence in climate change adaptation and disaster risk management
- Explore how the NAP process can be aligned with obligations countries have under other agendas
- The role of development cooperation in supporting coherence
- Alignment to Advance Climate-Resilient Development | Anika Terton, NAP Global Network
- Common Ground between the Paris Agreement and the Sendai Framework – National Approaches | Nicolina Lamhauge, OECD
- Lessons on Alignment from Nepal’s Experience | Dr. Maheshwar Dhakal, Chief, Climate Change Management Division, Ministry of Forests and Environment, Nepal
- Lessons on Alignment from the NAP Global Support Programme | Representative from the UNDP-UNEP NAP Global Support Programme (NAP-GSP)
Watch the webinar's recording below.
Gender-Responsive Resilience Building in the Caribbean
A presentation of our knowledge, attitudes, behaviours, and practices analysis in the Caribbean.
Trade and Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation: Implications for developing countries
The second of two sessions, this event will look at the impact of climate change mitigation and adaptation policies on developing country exports of goods and services.
Webinar | Approaches to Progress Reporting on National Adaptation Plan (NAP) Implementation
Join this event to look at what has already been done in terms of NAP progress reporting and derive lessons that could guide countries through the process.
Webinar on Informing National Governments’ Efforts to Scale Up Finance for Adaptation: Where to next?
This webinar elaborates on the adaptation finance gap in developing countries, identifies the knowledge gaps that impede the capacity of developing countries to scale up financing for adaptation, and discusses ways in which these knowledge gaps might be overcome.