The Energy Charter Treaty: Endgame in sight?
Is 2023 the year for a coordinated EU withdrawal from the Energy Charter Treaty?
The Energy Charter Treaty (ECT) is at a crossroads. Recently, the European Commission has hinted for the first time that a withdrawal of the EU and Euratom from the treaty is unavoidable. The negotiated reform proposal failed to gain the support of EU member states last year, seven of which have already announced a withdrawal. In a December resolution, the European Parliament has also voiced its clearest call on the Commission to facilitate a coordinated exit.
This webinar will delve into the pressing legal questions surrounding the withdrawal from the ECT, including the treaty's sunset clause and the implications of the treaty as a mixed agreement. It will also assess the political momentum for further withdrawals both within and outside the EU. The webinar will provide a comprehensive overview of the most pressing legal and political issues facing the ECT and bring together leading experts from academia, policy, and civil society.
The workshop will discuss:
- Neutralization of the sunset clause and implications of Article 16.
- Status of ECT as mixed agreement and consequences for the decision-making process.
- Implications for the extra-EU context: UK, Switzerland, and other non-EU ECT Contracting Parties.
- Federica Violi, Associate professor, International and European Union Law, Erasmus University Rotterdam
- Nicolas Angelet, Associate tenant of Doughty Street Chambers, London, and professor of international law in the Université Libre de Bruxelles
- Josè Manuel Gutierrez Delgado, Head of the International Arbitration Department of the Abogacía General del Estado in the Spanish government
The webinar is organized by IISD, CIEL and ClientEarth.
IISD Sustainability Certificate Series
IISD is launching a new online workshop series for university students around the world on sustainable development, policy engagement, and green economies.
The Future We Want: What have we learned since Rio+20?
In this 10th year since the Rio+20 The Future We Want was adopted, this webinar will explore the ways in which the 2012 outcome laid the foundations and still advances the objectives that the SDG Summit seeks to reinforce.
Localizing the SDGs: Agrifood systems transformation as a key accelerator
To reach food security and nutrition for all, food and agriculture policies need better tuning with environmental and social objectives at all levels.
NAP Global Network at NAP Expo 2023
The world’s flagship conference dedicated to National Adaptation Plan (NAP) processes will take place in the Latin America and Caribbean region for the first time.