Public–Private Partnerships (PPPs) in Infrastructure and Public Services
How can governments harness investment for sustainable development through public–private partnerships (PPPs) in infrastructure and public services? This workshop presented practical tools with a focus on agriculture and rural infrastructure.
The joint IISD–UNCTAD workshop was organized in response to requests from government representatives attending the 11th Annual Forum of Developing Country Investment Negotiators.
Harnessing Investment for Sustainable Development through Public–Private Partnerships (PPPs) in Infrastructure and Public Services was held in Nairobi, Kenya, on February 6, 2018.
Topics discussed included:
- Measuring Investment in Infrastructure and Public Services Sectors: A data overview and data challenges
- IISD’s Sustainable Asset Valuation (SAVi) Tool: Why sustainable assets can deliver better value for money and harness sustainable development
- Financing Investment in Infrastructure for Agriculture
- Contracts for Sustainable Infrastructure: Ensuring the economic, social and environmental co-benefits of infrastructure investment projects
- Data on PPP-Related ISDS Cases, including Agriculture-Related Cases
- Harnessing Sustainable Investment in Infrastructure and Public Services through IIAs, including Implications for Drafting Key IIA Provisions
Sustainable Asset Valuation (SAVi) Tool
- IISD developed the SAVi tool to demonstrate to governments, investors and citizens why sustainable assets can deliver better value for money and more attractive internal rates of return.
Contracts for Sustainable Infrastructure: Ensuring the economic, social and environmental co-benefits of infrastructure investment projects
- This report defines sustainable infrastructure, outlines its expected characteristics and co-benefits, and presents why governments must and how they can integrate sustainability into PPPs and other infrastructure contracts.
NBI Deep Dive: Valuing Forest Restoration in Indonesia, a Case Study of the Brantas River
In this final session on water in our NBI Deep Dive series, we demonstrate the benefits of forest restoration through a case study on the Brantas River basin in Indonesia.
NBI Deep Dive: The Value of Wetland Restoration in Colombia
In the second session of our NBI Deep Dive series, we focus on a Sustainable Asset Valuation (SAVi) case study of wetland restoration in La Mojana, Colombia.
IISD Sustainability Certificate Series
IISD is launching a new online workshop series for university students around the world on sustainable development, policy engagement, and green economies.
The Future We Want: What have we learned since Rio+20?
In this 10th year since the Rio+20 The Future We Want was adopted, this webinar will explore the ways in which the 2012 outcome laid the foundations and still advances the objectives that the SDG Summit seeks to reinforce.