Introductory Workshop on International Investment Law: Algeria
On December 13–14, 2023, IISD held an introductory workshop on international investment law for government officials and negotiators from Algeria.
The 2-day session equipped Algerian officials with knowledge about international investment agreements, key investment treaty provisions, and important recent developments at regional, continental, and international levels.
This event assessed Algeria’s current investment agreements and challenges related to ongoing negotiations, as well as its institutional setup for treaty negotiations. The workshop also stimulated discussions on Algeria’s international investment policies and their connection to the country’s sustainable development goals.
Across the 2 days, the workshop aimed to:
- Provide an overview of international investment agreements (IIASs), including key challenges and implications for developing countries.
- Raise awareness of the status of IIAs signed by Algeria, including the number and type of treaties signed.
- Facilitate dialogue among participants on potential issues related to existing IIAs and identify reform needs.
- Explore Algeria's current approach to negotiating treaties, which agencies are involved in negotiations, and how inter-agency coordination is ensured.
- Raise awareness among participants about practical ways to structure and prepare IIA negotiations to improve the chances of success.
This introductory workshop will be followed by in-depth technical training to be held in the first half of 2024.
The workshop was dedicated to Algerian government officials involved in the development, negotiation, or management of investment treaties, investment promotion, and investor–state disputes.
IISD's team of international investment experts provides training courses, workshops, and a range of advisory services for developing economy officials—covering investment treaties, laws and contracts, negotiations, and dispute prevention and management. Read here (English) and here (French) to find out more.
Introductory Workshop on International Investment Law: Madagascar
An introductory workshop on international investment law for Madagascar government officials.
2024 Investment Policy Forum
The 16th edition of the International Institute for Sustainable Development's (IISD) Investment Policy Forum will be held in Manila, the Philippines, in October 2024.
IISD at Procura+
Public procurement can play a key role in strategic governance, ensuring service delivery that achieves value for money and generates benefits not only for organizations, but also for the environment, society and the economy. IISD's Procurement team will present key research on green public procurement.
Trade and Sustainability Hub 2024
Alongside the Thirteenth WTO Ministerial Conference (MC13) we will be running our Trade + Sustainability Hub, bringing together thought leaders from both within and outside governments for a series of conversations on the challenges of building cooperative trade policy that delivers for sustainable development.