COP 27 Side Event | Impact of Russia's War Against Ukraine on European Climate Policies and Ways Forward
European governments are accelerating their decarbonization in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the gas crisis, and Russia's war on Ukraine. The majority of European countries have already significantly stepped up their ambitions in terms of renewable energy deployment since 2019 while simultaneously decreasing planned 2030 fossil fuel generation to shield themselves from geopolitical threats.
This in-person event at COP 27 aims to discuss the changes in European policies that have happened since February 2022 due to Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine. The event will examine challenges and ways forward to achieve the Paris Agreement's goal of keeping temperature rise to between 1.5°C and 2°C while ensuring energy security and social justice. Speakers will also touch upon the role of Ukraine in the decarbonization of Europe.
- Svitlana Grynchuk, Deputy Minister of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources of Ukraine for European Integration, Ministry of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources of Ukraine
- Laurence Tubiana, CEO, European Climate Foundation
- Philip Gass, Lead, Transitions, International Institute for Sustainable Development
- Andrei Ilaș, Energy Analyst, Centre for Research on Energy and Clean Air
- Olexii Ryabchyn, Advisor to CEO, Naftogaz of Ukraine, National Joint Stock Company
- Adam Cwetsch, Head, European Green Deal Unit, Energy Community Secretariat
- Chiara Martinelli, Director, Climate Action Network Europe
IISD at Adaptation Futures 2023
IISD will take part in several events at the Adaptation Futures 2023 conference in Montreal, Canada.
2023 Investment Policy Forum
The 15th Investment Policy Forum will be held in Panama City, Panama, from October 25 to 27, 2023. The event is organized by the International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) and hosted by the Government of Panama.
Get Ready to Hack the World's Freshwater Laboratory
Want to hack one of the longest unbroken environmental datasets in the world?
IGF 19th Annual General Meeting
This event will focus on sharing mining benefits in the energy transition. It will be held in-person on November 7–9, 2023 in Geneva, Switzerland.