Webinar | A WTO Fisheries Subsidies Deal: What it means and why it matters
This event is part of IISD's participation in the 2021 WTO Public Forum.
This virtual session is being organized by the Pew Charitable Trusts and IISD. Panellists will look at how a successful WTO agreement on curbing subsidies for overfishing could pave the way for a stronger multilateral trade and environment agenda. The proposed event will provide expert views and a forum for discussion of what the new agreement means and why it matters for the ocean and the multilateral trading system. Panellists will also consider how the agreement’s implementation will be a catalyst for sustainable trade and a sustainable future.
- Chris Costello, Co-director of the Sustainable Fisheries Group, University of California, Santa Barbara
- Richard Damania, Chief Economist of the Sustainable Development Practice Group, The World Bank Group
- Sebastian Mathew, Executive Director, International Collective in Support of Fishworkers (ICSF)
- Alexandre Parola, Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the WTO, Permanent Mission of Brazil to the WTO
- Alice Tipping, Lead, Sustainable Trade and Fisheries Subsidies, IISD