This staff member no longer works for IISD.
Tony Vetter is an Associate with IISD’s Global Connectivity program, after having been a Project Manager from 2007 to 2010. He has over 10 years of experience in the telecommunications sector, having worked in product manager, technical marketing, and advisory roles at Ciena, Roshnee and Nortel. After completing a master’s degree in international development, Tony launched a new career focusing on the role Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) can play in achieving sustainable development. Tony now works at Digital Opportunity Trust as their Senior Director, Operations. His research interests include ICTs as a tool for creating educational, economic and entrepreneurial opportunities in developing countries; ICTs and the environment; and ICT governance and innovation for sustainable development.
- Active Member of Engineers Without Borders (Canada)
- Master of International Development (2008): Norman Paterson School of International Affairs, Carlton University.
- Master of Engineering Physics (1997): McMaster University.
- Bachelor of Engineering Physics (1992): McMaster University.
- Tony’s self-directed post-graduate research focused on such topics as the role of entrepreneurs in development, microfinance, the relevance to development of the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS), telecenters programming, gender issues in ICT4D, and the use of ICTs in land administration projects in developing countries.
Tony Vetter completed his assignment in March 2012.