Introduction to basic concepts and the SAVi methodology
This module introduces sustainable infrastructure and explores how SAVi can be used to make the decisions that optimise value for money for governments, investors, and project sponsors alike. It also presents the fundamentals of the SAVi methodology, including its scope and data sources.
The module covers the following topics:
- What is the Sustainable Asset Valuation (SAVi)? Explores how SAVi is used to calculate the costs of environmental, social, and governance risks and externalities of infrastructure projects, along with introducing the characteristics of a sustainable asset and its business case.
- Examples of SAVi assessments. Discusses the results of SAVi applications to date. Each example illustrates the importance of taking a systemic view to the valuation of environmental, social and governance risks in infrastructure projects.
- SAVi performance indicators and externalities. Discusses the indicators and externalities that can be calculated using SAVi.
- SAVi database. Provides an overview of the data used to generate SAVi analyses and how the dollar value of externalities is calculated.
The objectives of this module are to:
- Introduce sustainable infrastructure
- Establish the value of systems thinking in infrastructure planning and financing
- Familiarize the reader with the SAVi methodology, both in theory and application
- Present examples of SAVi in use.
3. Suggested Background Reading
- How SAVi works – https://www.iisd.org/savi/how-savi-works/
- SAVi projects – https://www.iisd.org/savi/projects/
- SAVi database – https://www.iisd.org/library/savi-database-primer
- SAVi water infrastructure – https://www.iisd.org/library/sustainable-asset-valuation-tool-water-infrastructure
- SAVi road infrastructure – https://www.iisd.org/library/sustainable-asset-valuation-tool-roads
- SAVi energy infrastructure – https://www.iisd.org/library/sustainable-asset-valuation-tool-energy-infrastructure
- SAVi buildings – https://www.iisd.org/library/sustainable-asset-valuation-tool-buildings
- SAVi nature-based infrastructure – https://www.iisd.org/library/sustainable-asset-valuation-tool-natural-infrastructure
- SAVi materials management infrastructure –