IGF Guidance for Governments: Local content policies
A new toolkit developed by the Intergovernmental Forum on Mining, Minerals, Metals and Sustainable Development (IGF) aims to help resource-rich countries find more sustainable and inclusive economic solutions, fostering stronger linkages between mineral resources and the rest of the economy.
The IGF Guidance for Governments focuses on mining sector local content policies—a suite of policies aimed at leveraging mining investment to, for example, increase local employment, boost mining companies’ local purchases, and foster entrepreneurs in non-mining sectors. It aims to help resource-rich countries move away from commodity dependency and diversify their economic base. Local content policies are being increasingly used, particularly as governments review or revise their mining and investment codes and contracts..
The guidance document also covers three cross-cutting themes: ensuring goals are achieved in a gender-equitable way; exploring the relationship between local content policies and countries’ obligations under trade and investment law; and exploring the implications of technological advances on the success of local content policies.
IGF Guidance for Governments: Local content policy case studies
- Australia: Downstream linkages
- Botswana: Downstream linkages
- Indonesia: Downstream linkages
- Nigeria: Downstream linkages
- Singapore: Downstream linkages
- Australia: Direct employment
- Canada: Direct employment
- Chile: Direct employment
- Ghana: Direct employment
- Papua New Guinea: Direct employment
- South Africa: Direct employment
- Canada: National capacity
- Chile: National capacity
- Nigeria: National capacity
- Norway: National capacity
- Saudi Arabia: National capacity
- Australia: Horizontal linkages
- Chile: Horizontal linkages
- Guinea: Horizontal linkages
- Mozambique: Horizontal linkages
- Norway: Horizontal linkages
- South Africa: Horizontal linkages
- Tanzania: Horizontal linkages
You might also be interested in
Parental Leave Policies in the Mining Sector
An in-depth look at international and national parental leave frameworks and policies across 12 countries.
Determining the Price of Minerals: A transfer pricing framework
Practical guidance to support developing countries in accurately pricing mineral sales for the purposes of revenue collection.
Relinquishment of Closed Mine Sites: Policy steps for governments
This report reviews the concept of mine site relinquishment, scans global practices, and discusses challenges, key considerations, and policy steps.
IGF Case Study: Environmental and Social Impact Assessments in Mining Legal Frameworks
This publication contrasts the legal frameworks for environmental and social impact assessments in three mineral-rich jurisdictions.