Investment Treaty News Quarterly (ITN), Volume 8, Issue 4, December 2017
Investment Treaty News (ITN) is IISD’s flagship quarterly journal on international investment law and policy.
- The Journey of a Binding Treaty on Human Rights: Three Years Out and Where Is It Heading? by Joe Zhang and Mintewab Abebe
- Government Regulatory Space in the Shadow of BITs: The Case of Tanzania’s Natural Resource Regulatory Reform, by Magalie Masamba
- UNCTAD’s 2017 High-level IIA Conference: Moving Forward on Addressing Older-Generation International Investment Agreements, by James Zhan and Moritz Obst
- Review of The Political Economy of the Investment Treaty Regime, by David Gaukrodger
Summaries and analysis of recent arbitration awards and decisions:
- Canadian mining company awarded sunk costs only in compensation for Peruvian expropriation (Bear Creek Mining Corporation v. Republic of Peru, ICSID Case No. ARB/14/21), by Matthew Levine
- Kazakhstan held liable for expropriation of Hourani family’s investment on second round of ICSID arbitration (Caratube International Oil Company LLP and Devincci Salah Hourani v. Republic of Kazakhstan, ICSID Case No. ARB/13/13), by Mintewab Abebe
- ICSID tribunal affirms jurisdiction over dispute between Chinese construction firm and Yemen (Beijing Urban Construction Group Co. Ltd. v. Republic of Yemen, ICSID Case No. ARB/14/30), by Matthew Levine
- Claims brought by a company controlled by an Egyptian billionaire against Algeria are held inadmissible (Orascom TMT Investments S.à r.l. v. People's Democratic Republic of Algeria, ICSID Case No. ARB/12/35), by Mintewab Abebe
- UNCITRAL tribunal dismisses allegations of Hungarian investor’s bribery and refuses to set aside contract with Croatia (The Republic of Croatia v. MOL Hungarian Oil and Gas Plc, PCA Case No 2014-15), by Trishna S. Menon
You might also be interested in
The Proposed Multilateral Framework on Investment Facilitation
This paper examines the proposed multilateral framework on investment facilitation and how it relates to existing trade and investment agreements.
Investment Facilitation: History and the latest developments in the structured discussions
This negotiating brief was prepared for the January 28, 2020 seminar in Geneva on the Joint Statement Initiative on Investment Facilitation.
A Fair Shake: How investment policy can support sustainable development
IISD experts are pushing for reform and offering their expertise to ensure good policy isn't held back by the threat of arbitration.
Trade Agreements and the World Trade Organization: Lessons for the Micro, Small, and Medium-Sized Enterprises Joint Statement Initiative
This paper examines the provisions that relate to micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) in regional trade agreements and the World Trade Organization (WTO) agreements.