The Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (DESD) and Sustainability Education in First Nations Schools in Manitoba
This study was undertaken to explore and develop an understanding of what progress has been made towards encouraging and supporting First Nations schools in Manitoba to undertake sustainability programming and initiatives during the UN Decade for Education for Sustainable Development (DESD).
The goal was to identify successes as well as challenges, while developing recommendations for future changes where needed and strategies to overcome any existing gaps.
Work on this study was carried out in close consultation with Manitoba Education and Manitoba First Nations Education Resource Centre (MFNERC).
The study calls for the following:
- MFNERC and Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) should consider the development of a federal strategy, funding approach and implementation process for Education for Sustainable Development in First Nations Schools across Canada.
- Manitoba Education should consider facilitating increased networking and dialogue between the lead agencies for the UN DESD in Canada and INAC.
- Manitoba Education should consider working with the Council of Ministers of Education Canada to include provisions, where possible, for collaboration with INAC and First Nations schools in the Pan-Canadian ESD Framework for Collaboration and Action.
- MFNERC should consider examining existing sustainable development resources from Manitoba Education to determine whether they need to develop more culturally relevant materials for First Nations schools.
- 5. MFNERC should offer professional development and training workshops for First Nations education staff.
You might also be interested in
Education for Sustainable Development in Canadian Faculties of Education
Education for Sustainable Development at Manitoba Colleges and Universities: Results from an institution-wide survey and president interviews across Manitoba's 11 institutions of higher education
Technical-Vocational Education for Sustainable Development in Manitoba
New Research at IISD Experimental Lakes Area This Summer
IISD Experimental Lakes Area is carefully and safely opening its doors to new research and a slightly larger research team this summer.