Increasing Fiscal Space in Times of Economic Uncertainty: The G20 Energy Communiqué and Leaders’ Declaration
As the world faces increasing economic uncertainty and rising energy prices, G20 countries must maintain momentum on a sustainable energy transition, one of the key priority issues set by Indonesia as part of its G20 Presidency in 2022.
For this purpose, Indonesia’s interministerial Energy Transition Working Group (ETWG) has defined three energy priority issues:
- Securing energy accessibility
- Scaling up smart and clean energy technologies
- Advancing energy financing.
Taking place 3 weeks prior to the ETWG finalizing the Energy Ministerial Communiqué and Main Deliverables, this webinar will explore how G20 governments can safeguard carbon pricing and fossil fuel subsidy reform within the Communiqué and G20 Leaders’ Declaration.
The webinar will begin with opening remarks by the Coordinating Minister for Economic Affairs, Airlangga Hartarto. International Institute for Sustainable Development Senior Director, Energy, Peter Wooders will deliver a keynote address on the importance of raising ambition on carbon tax and fossil fuel subsidy reform in the Energy Ministerial Communiqué and Leaders’ Declaration. The high-profile panellists will then respond and share their own perspectives on the importance of raising ambition within G20 proclamations.
Check-In and Outline of Event
Rike Amru, News Anchor, BeritaSatu TV News Channel
Airlangga Hartarto, Coordinating Minister for Economic Affairs, Republic of Indonesia
Peter Wooders, Senior Director, Energy, International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD)
- Chrisnawan Anditya, Head of Planning Bureau, Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources, Republic of Indonesia
- Dian Lestari, Head of the Centre for Climate Finance and Multilateral Policy, Fiscal Policy Agency, Ministry of Finance, Republic of Indonesia
- Edi Prio Pambudi, Chair of Sherpa Track
- Ahmad Agus Setiawan, Advisor to the Deputy Chief of Staff of the President, Republic of Indonesia
- Leonie van der Stijl, Friends of Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform
Lourdes Sanchez, Senior Policy Advisor and Lead, Indonesia, IISD