Parliamentarians' Action for Gender Equality and Food Security as a Response to COVID-19
In 2020, IISD together with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and Oxfam organized a series of online dialogues as part of their policy support to the ECOWAS Network of Parliamentarians on Gender Equality and Investments in Agriculture and Food Security.
This series of webinars served to explore and generate a reflection on the role of parliamentarians in mitigating the gender-differentiated impacts of COVID-19 on agriculture and food systems.
In total four webinars were held virtually and attended by 200 participants on average. Please refer to the webinars specific webpages in the right hand margin of this page for further details related to speakers, recording and reports.
Parliamentarians' Action #1 | Gender Equality and Food Security as a Response to COVID-19
This webinar offered a unique opportunity for a transversal discussion among parliamentarians from Africa, Europe, Latin America, and the Caribbean, and contributed to generating a reflection on their role in tackling the COVID-19 crisis. Participants shared examples of good practices in terms of gender-responsive policy measures undertaken in their respective regions to reinforce food security and food systems.
During this webinar, parliamentarians from Africa, Europe, Latin America, and the Caribbean adopted a call for action in response to the impacts of Covid-19 on gender equality, food secutiry and nutrition. The declaration is available at the bottom of this page in English and in French.
We will act as champions for ensuring that the policy responses to COVID-19 and beyond are gender- responsive by addressing women’s needs and priorities, especially in rural areas, including the adoption of mitigation and temporary special measures, if necessary.
During this event, parliamentarians learnt about the call from the Parliamentary Front Against Hunger in Latin America and the Caribbean urging countries not to neglect the fight against hunger and malnutrition during the COVID-19 period.
The webinar enhanced parliamentarians' actions on the implementation of policies and legislation for empowering women in agriculture and food systems during COVID-19 and beyond.
This virtual meeting was the first in a series of dialogues organized by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), IISD, and Oxfam as part of their policy support to the ECOWAS Network of Parliamentarians on Gender Equality and Investments in Agriculture and Food Security. The objective of the series is to enhance the role of African parliamentarians in mitigating the gender-differentiated impacts of COVID-19 on food systems.
- Maria Helena Semedo, Deputy Director-General, FAO
- Siga Fatima Jagne, Commissioner for Social Affairs and Gender, Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)
- Ana Regina Segura Martínez, Head of Unit for Rural Development, Food and Nutrition, Spanish Agency for International Cooperation and Development
- Monica Eva Copa, President of the Senate, Bolivia
- Jario Flores, General Coordinator of the Parliamentary Front Against Hunger in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Soraya Rodriguez, Member, EU Parliamentary Alliance on Food Security and Nutrition
- Mathias Kasamba, Chairperson, Committee on Agriculture, Tourism and Natural Resource, East African Legislative Assembly
- Teresa Cálix Raudales, Honduran Representative and Coordinator, Parliamentary Front Against Hunger in Mesoamerica
- Abdoulaye Vilane, Chairperson, ECOWAS Network of Parliamentarians on Gender Equality, Responsible Investment in Agriculture and Food Security
- Tacko Ndiaye, Senior Gender Officer, FAO
- Francine Picard, Policy Officer, IISD
Date: June 18, 2020, 4:00 p.m. (CET) (duration: 2 hours)
Event hashtag: #ParliamentAction2020
Parliamentarians Action #3 | Protecting and Promoting Women’s Land Rights in the Face of COVID-19 and Beyond
The third virtual dialogue in the Parliamentarians' Actions for Gender Equality and Resilient Food Systems in Response to COVID-19 series was held on September 17, 2020, from 10:30 AM to 1:00 PM (CEST).
Parliamentarian Action #2 | Advancing gender equality in the context of family farming
The second virtual dialogue in the Parliamentarians' Actions for Gender Equality and Resilient Food Systems in Response to COVID-19 series was held on July 22, 2020, from 12:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. (CEST).
Virtual Workshop for Eastern African Policymakers on Responsible Contract Farming
This workshop will discuss legal, policy and institutional innovations to support and promote contract farming, as an important inclusive business model for responsible investment in agriculture.
The Africa Agriculture Trade Monitor: What next for the African continent?
The Trade Dialogues on Food webinar series invites experts from governments, non-governmental organizations, businesses, academia, think tanks and foundations to debate the most topical issues in food trade.