IISD Experimental Lakes Area has a long and proud history of providing a unique learning environment for undergraduate and graduate students who have worked on projects and conducted independent research at the facility.
We are working with a number of universities to provide undergraduate- and graduate-level field courses. The long history of ELA research combined with accommodations, logistical support and laboratory facilities make it an ideal place to teach field research techniques in topics such as limnology, biogeochemistry, fisheries and aquatic sampling.
We currently host two university field courses in partnership with Lakehead University, Trent University and the University of Manitoba:
- Lakehead University offers the Experimental Limnology and Aquatic Ecology through the Ontario Universities Program in Field Biology.
- The University of Manitoba and Trent University will jointly offer a university-based field course focused on environmental monitoring and water quality, sponsored in part by the NSERC CREATE H20 program.
Hundreds of students have conducted research at IISD-ELA, learning strong scientific principles, field techniques and integrated approaches to understanding global freshwater issues. University student research is welcomed as part of our broader research goals, and students will be given the unique opportunity to connect with the scientific community, examining multiple levels of ecosystem dynamics as well as the broader policy implications for these boreal systems.
If you are interested in undergraduate or graduate research at IISD-ELA, we have several team members that are adjunct professors at various educational institutes in Canada. Link to their bios below for more information on their research backgrounds.
- Vince Palace, Head Research Scientist; Adjunct Professor at University of Manitoba
- Michael Paterson, Senior Research Scientist; Adjunct Professor at University of Manitoba, University of Winnipeg and Trent University
- Scott Higgins, Research Scientist; Adjunct Professor at University of Winnipeg and University of Waterloo
- Michael Rennie, Research Fellow; Assistant Professor at Lakehead University and Adjunct Professor at University of Manitoba
For general inquiries regarding graduate research at IISD-ELA please contact Vince Palace, Head Research Scientist at [email protected].