Want to experience firsthand what we do at IISD Experimental Lakes Area? Want to expose your students to freshwater research?
We are pleased to offer group tours for the general public and school groups, as well as overnight stays to high school and university students during our field season (May to October)! Visits can be adapted for a variety of audiences and are aimed at informing everyone about this world-class facility, exposing students to a hands-on field experience and complementing school curriculum. Tours are typically 3–4 hours in length (including lunch); the length of overnight stays are based on the school’s interest.
Students and the public can gain:
- Knowledge of ecosystem interactions and fresh water
- An understanding of whole-ecosystem research
- Experience using scientific equipment
- Exposure to career opportunities
Visits can be tailored to meet your interest, but generally, tours include:
- A welcome presentation that provides a background on past and current IISD-ELA research
- A tour of our facilities, including the chemistry and fish labs, where you will learn about methods and processes
- A tour of the Environment Canada meteorological station, where you will learn about the importance of monitoring the weather and the various instruments used
- An opportunity to use scientific equipment in our research lakes to monitor temperature, oxygen and transparency
- A hands-on netting activity to collect fish
- A hands-on kick netting activity to collect invertebrates
- A visit to a current whole-ecosystem experiment
Tour participants are required to bring a lunch and appropriate clothing for the season. Overnight visitors will be provided with a list of supplies needed.
IISD-ELA can accommodate various curriculum and course goals. Overnight stays can be geared towards students participating in field experience and/or completing independent projects (independent projects can meet the International Baccalaureate requirements for biology, chemistry and physics).
Please contact us at email@example.com with questions or to organize a tour or overnight stay.
Learn more about: