Associate and Senior Energy Specialist
Vibhuti Garg is an Associate and Senior Energy Specialist with over 13 years of experience in the energy sector. Her recent work includes promoting sustainable development through influencing policy intervention on energy pricing, subsidy reforms and clean energy, and private participation in various areas of the energy sector. She has advised a number of private and public sector clients about a range of power sector market issues, including: commercial and market entry strategies, market diligence for investment in power projects, the impact of power sector performance on state finances, recommendations on least-cost options for energy supply, long- and short-term demand, and price forecasting. Her publications span opinion editorials, media articles, policy briefs and peer-reviewed publications.
Prior to joining IISD, she has worked as a manager at ICF International and AF-Mercados Energy Markets India and as a research associate in the Energy Reforms, Regulatory Studies and Governance division of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI). She has work experience in Nepal, Bangladesh, Vietnam and in the Caucasus region.
- Rethinking Eskom: Lessons from electricity sector reform in India and MexicoAs South Africa debates how to reform its struggling electricity sector, this publication reviews how international experience from India and Mexico could inform the debate.
- Mapping India's Energy Subsidies 2020: Fossil fuels, renewables and electric vehiclesHow have India’s energy subsidy policies changed? What have been the most significant developments in India’s dynamic energy policy environment? And is public support aligned with India’s desired energy future?
- Beyond Fossil Fuels: Fiscal transition in BRICSThis report makes the case for preparing government budgets for the clean energy transition in BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa).
- Beyond Fossil Fuels: Fiscal Transition BRICS | Case Study: IndiaThis India case study is part of the report Beyond Fossil Fuels: Fiscal transition in BRICS. It presents the aggregated data on both revenues and subsidies related to fossil fuels in India.
- Tackling Coal-Driven Air Pollution in China and India: Lessons learned for Indonesia Although air pollution in China and India is currently heavier than in Indonesia, these two countries have been giving more attention to tackling it. Given Indonesia’s very large coal growth projections and current level of air pollution, lessons can be learned from both China and India when it comes to addressing air pollution.
- Mapping Policy for Solar Irrigation Across the Water-Energy-Food (WEF) Nexus in India How are India's off-grid solar pump policies affecting the water–energy–food nexus? This paper maps out impacts and the key policies that are driving them.
- India's Energy Transition: The Cost of Meeting Air Pollution Standards in the Coal-fired Electricity SectorIt will cost up to INR 86,135 crore (USD 12 billion) to comply with India's rules for air pollution control technology in the current fleet of coal power plants, increasing the average cost of electricity by 9–21 per cent per kWh. The Ministry of Power must take a strict position to ensure compliance.
- India's Energy Transition: Subsidies for gasoline, diesel and electric vehiclesIndia’s subsidies to petrol and diesel between October 2018 and June 2019 amounted to almost three times the three-year government budget for electric vehicle (EV) support, according to our new study.
- Raising Ambition Through Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform: Greenhouse gas emissions results modelling from 26 countriesThis working paper models 26 countries and finds national average emission reductions of 6 per cent from the removal of fossil fuel subsidies. For every tonne of CO2e removed through FFSR, governments save an average of USD 93. Global emission reductions from reforms are between 6.4 and 8.2 per cent by 2050. Countries can consider the carbon reduction co-benefits from FFSR and taxation within second-generation Nationally Determined Contributions.
- India's Energy Subsidies Moving in the Right DirectionIndia has become an outspoken proponent of renewable energy, but do the facts back up the rhetoric? Is the central government walking the talk when it comes to India's energy subsidies?
- India's Energy Transition: Subsidies for Fossil Fuels and Renewable Energy, 2018 Update How have India’s energy subsidy policies changed since 2016? Have they become more or less aligned with India’s desired energy future? How have India’s energy subsidy policies changed since 2016? Have they become more or less aligned with India’s desired energy future?
- #G20takeaction now: Civil society organizations call for G20 governments to end subsidies to fossil fuelsAt the C20 Summit (on the G20 agenda), Vibhuti Garg presented on Addressing the Challenges for Global Energy Transition towards Climate Compatible Future.
- Electricity Sector Reform in Uttar Pradesh: Analysis of tariff adjustments and the Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana Plan (UDAY)This study by IISD-Global Subsidies Initiative (GSI) examines the electricity sector of the state of Uttar Pradesh by analyzing tariff adjustments and the financial assistance scheme UDAY.
- India Energy Subsidy Briefing January 2018 The India Energy Subsidy Briefing covers issues related to energy subsidies. January's edition included the Draft National Energy Policy, crude oil prices, inclusions in the new unified tax mechanism, and the competition driving the prices of solar and wind energy.
- India's Energy Transition: Mapping subsidies to fossil fuels and clean energy in IndiaThis report maps out the context, magnitude, trends and impacts of India’s energy subsidies. It aims to enhance transparency and dialogue on energy choices in India and to help track shifts in government support from fossil fuels to renewables.
- Kerosene to Solar Swap Policy Brief 1: Kerosene Subsidies in India: The status quo, challenges and the emerging path to reformThis policy brief examines the current system of kerosene subsidies in India, looking at key issues and the impact subsidies have on the distribution of clean, off-grid solar lighting solutions.
- From C20 to the G20: What we need on carbon pricing and fossil fuel subsidy reformIISD’s Global Subsidies Initiative presented at a side event on June 18 at the C20 Summit, a gathering that facilitated exchanges among civil society from G20 countries on the upcoming G20 Summit agenda and beyond.
- Stopping Payments to Polluters: Clearing the air with fossil fuel subsidy reform in China and India Improving urban air quality is a headline concern in both India and China. Fossil fuel subsidy reform is a potentially powerful tool in securing an improvement for both countries.
- How to Pay the Bills? A survey of public attitudes to electricity tariff reform in RajasthanThis report presents the findings of a household survey that sheds light on the attitudes of electricity consumers toward tariff reform in the State of Rajasthan, India.
- An Assessment of the Financial Sustainability of the Electricity Sector in RajasthanThis report examines the performance of the electricity sector in Rajasthan, assessing its ability to recover operating costs, reliably meet demand, make investments and operate according to environmental and social norms.
- How Subsidies for Kerosene are Holding Back Solar Power in IndiaKerosene is used by millions of households in rural India to meet basic lighting needs, and subsidies have long been used to make the fuel more affordable. But for health, safety and environmental reasons, a switch to solar power is better—and more affordable in the absence of kerosene subsidies.
- India’s 2016 Budget: A mixed bag for clean energy alternativesIndia's 2016 budget features some important concessions for increasing clean energy, but it is not without drawbacks.
- G20 subsidies to oil, gas and coal production: IndiaThis study and accompanying data sheet compiles publicly available information on fossil fuel production subsidies in India in 2013 and 2014.
- G20 subsidies to oil, gas and coal production: South AfricaJointly prepared by IISD, OCI and ODI, this country study and accompanying data sheet compiles...
- Energy Pricing, Energy Supply and FDI Competitiveness in Viet Nam: An assessment of foreign investor sentimentForeign direct investment (FDI) has made a major contribution to Viet Nam’s impressive structural...