Laurin Wuennenberg is a researcher with IISD’s Economic Law and Policy Program. His work focuses on sustainable public procurement, innovation, decarbonization of industries and financing of sustainable infrastructure.
Based in Geneva, Laurin has engaged in research and capacity-building projects in Europe, South Africa, South Asia and China for diverse clients. Laurin conducts policy-level analysis and in-depth research. He contributes to applying the Sustainable Asset Valuation (SAVi) tool to a wide range of infrastructure projects by engaging with clients, collecting data, and developing outreach and communications materials.
Laurin also applies his sustainability and infrastructure finance expertise within the Expert Network on Second Opinions (ENSO). He provides second opinions on institutions’ and companies’ green bond and sustainability bond frameworks.
His previous work experience covers a range of consulting and research projects in academic environments, the private sector and international organizations, including work in India for the German Development Agency (GIZ) and Adelphi. Before joining IISD, Laurin conducted research during his post-graduate studies on public procurement approaches and the uptake of innovative business models for the provision of lighting solutions.
- Plastic Waste in Canada: A daunting economic and environmental threat or an opportunity for sustainable public procurement? This commentary explores how sustainable public procurement can play a crucial role in advancing environmental and economic sustainable development in Canada's waste sector.
- Sustainability and Second Life: The case for cobalt and lithium recyclingAdopting recycling in the mining sector and in supply chains is essential to ensure the transition to a low-carbon economy is responsible and sustainable for the longer term.
- Sustainable Asset Valuation Tool: Natural infrastructureTechnical background document for the IISD's Sustainable Asset Valuation tool (SAVi) for natural infrastructure.
- Lake Dal in Srinagar, India: Application of the Sustainable Asset Valuation (SAVi) methodology for the analysis of conservation options The report presents the interim results of the SAVi analysis for developing the business case for the long-term conservation of Lake Dal in Srinagar, India.
- Credit Enhancement for Sustainable InfrastructureThe paper identifies the demand and supply-side barriers for upscaling credit enhancement solutions for sustainable infrastructure projects.
- Financing Soil Remediation: Exploring the use of financing instruments to blend public and private capitalA collection of 17 case studies on a variety of financing instruments that blend public and private capital that could be used to finance the remediation of contaminated soil.
- Moving Towards Sustainable Performance-Based Procurement in the Western CapeRead this report to discover how public procurement is no longer a back-office function anymore, but a crucial pillar for delivering government services, and a strategic one for tackling climate change.
- Low-Carbon Innovation for Sustainable Infrastructure: The role of public procurementThis report discusses how to leverage the power of public procurement laws, policies and practices to drive low-carbon innovation in the construction and infrastructure sectors.
- Stormwater Markets: Concepts and applicationsThis paper provides an overview of the technology and financing options available to address the stormwater problem in urban areas. The analysis focuses on policy instruments for incentivising private investments into green infrastructure, specifically through the creation of stormwater markets.
- Leveraging the Power of the Public Purse: Using public procurement of low-carbon innovation for sustainable infrastructure recommendations to the European Commission and EU member statesi24c and International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) publish recommendations for the European Commission and member state authorities on how to better leverage the power of the public purse to drive demand of low-carbon innovation in sustainable infrastructure.