GSI Manager and Senior Policy Advisor
Laura is a practitioner, consultant and economist in sustainable development.
Laura works on the social and environmental impacts of fossil fuel subsidies, pricing and their reform. She is an economist with expertise in energy policy. She manages the Global Subsidies Initiative of the International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD), works alongside the Friends of Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform, and supports in-country work including in Bangladesh, India, Indonesia and Nigeria. She leads on fossil fuel subsidies and the link to climate change and gender impacts.
Previously based in East Africa, Laura worked for Oxfam as a regional coordinator on trade and economic justice. Laura has also worked as an advisor for the International Union for the Conservation of Nature and consultant at Oxford Economic Research Associates. She holds an MBA (International Organisations from Université de Genève), MProf (Sustainable Development from Middlesex University) and MA (Politics, Philosophy and Economics from the University of Oxford).
- Scaling Up Green Energy Finance Swapping Fossil Fuel Subsidies for Sustainable Energy SolutionsThis video by IISD Reporting Services provides an overview of the Bonn side event hosted by GSI, "Scaling Up Green Energy Finance: Swapping Fossil Fuel Subsidies for Sustainable Energy Solutions.". The event focused on how governments can scale up investments in green energy by “making the switch” from fossil fuel subsidies to sustainable energy subsidies.
- Financing Adaptation and Resilience Through Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform and Fuel DutyOn Tuesday, 24 May 2016, the event “Financing Adaptation and Resilience Through Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform and Fuel Duty” took place in Bonn, Germany.
- GHG Emissions Reductions and Fossil-Fuel Subsidy Reform: Measurement and inclusion within INDCsThis 4 ½-minute video covers the links between fossil fuel subsidies, climate change and...
- Maximizing Contributions to Emission Mitigation from Fossil-Fuel Subsidy Reform This short five-minute video covers the issues around the link between fossil-fuel subsidies,...
- Fossil-fuel Subsidies: Building a Network for ActionThis five minute video investigates the issues for civil society organizations from fossil-fuel...