GSI Manager and Senior Policy Advisor
Laura is a practitioner, consultant and economist in sustainable development.
Laura works on the social and environmental impacts of fossil fuel subsidies, pricing and their reform. She is an economist with expertise in energy policy. She manages the Global Subsidies Initiative of the International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD), works alongside the Friends of Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform, and supports in-country work including in Bangladesh, India, Indonesia and Nigeria. She leads on fossil fuel subsidies and the link to climate change and gender impacts.
Previously based in East Africa, Laura worked for Oxfam as a regional coordinator on trade and economic justice. Laura has also worked as an advisor for the International Union for the Conservation of Nature and consultant at Oxford Economic Research Associates. She holds an MBA (International Organisations from Université de Genève), MProf (Sustainable Development from Middlesex University) and MA (Politics, Philosophy and Economics from the University of Oxford).
- Zombie Energy: Climate benefits of ending subsidies to fossil fuel productionThis working paper explains how different production subsidies currently unlock “zombie energy” from fossil fuel deposits that would not be commercially viable to produce without government support. It also presents new modelling of the global removal of certain subsidies to fossil fuel production.
- Fiscal Instruments in INDCs: How countries are looking to fiscal policies to support INDC implementationCountries are increasingly turning to the use of fiscal instruments to support low-carbon development and efforts to reduce emissions.
- Tackling Fossil Fuel Subsidies and Climate Change: Levelling the energy playing fieldSubsidies for the consuption of fossil fuels were estimated at US$550 billion in 2013, according to the International Energy Agency.
- Fossil-Fuel Subsidies and Climate Change: Options for policy-makers within their Intended Nationally Determined ContributionsThis paper reviews international models of fossil-fuel subsidy reform and greenhouse gas...
- Reform of Fossil-fuel Subsidies—Nordic Cooperation on fossil-fuel subsidy reform in developing countries: Assessing options and opportunitiesFossil-fuel subsidies matter.They matter for sustainable development; they matter for government...
- Financing the Sustainable Development Goals Through Fossil-fuel Subsidy Reform: Opportunities in Southeast Asia, India and China This report from the Global Subsidies Initiative of IISD was launched in conjunction with the...
- Power, Gender and Fossil-fuel Subsidy Reform in India This paper explores the link between fossil-fuel subsidies and gender in India.It focuses on the...