Joe Zhang has recently joined IISD’s Geneva office as a legal advisor. He began his professional career in 2007 as a judicial extern to Justice Sanders of the Washington State Supreme Court, and then proceeded to work as an attorney for Perkins Coie LLP in Seattle and Gordon, Thomas, Honeywell LLP in Tacoma. In late 2008, Zhang returned to China to work for the firm of Diaz, Reus and Targ as an associate attorney and for Orrick, Herrington and Sutcliffe as a consultant. His accomplishments in these positions included advising owners of alternative energy technologies in the establishment of joint ventures and company operations, a fast-growing Chinese solar system integrator for its pre-IPO investments and proposed IPO in the U.S., and a leading Chinese mining company for its proposed IPO in Hong Kong with an international placement under Reg S and Rule 144A.
Zhang is a member of the Oklahoma State Bar Association and the Washington State Bar Association. He is also qualified to practice law in China.
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly (ITN), Volume 8, Issue 4, December 2017Investment Treaty News (ITN) is IISD’s flagship quarterly journal on international investment law and policy.
- China’s Largest Arbitration Institution Adopts its First Investment Arbitration RulesChina’s new rules for investment arbitration are not yet publicly available in English. We present an advanced draft of the rules, and explain why they matter.
- Investment-Related Dispute Settlement: Lessons from international accountability mechanismsInvestment-Related Dispute Settlement: Results of an Expert Meeting held in Washington, D.C., April 11, 2017.
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly (ITN), Volume 8, Issue 2, June 2017Investment Treaty News is IISD’s flagship quarterly journal on international investment law and policy.
- Why We Need a "Comprehensive and Inclusive" Investment-Related Dispute Settlement MechanismIf investment-related dispute settlement mechanisms at the international level were to be built anew, what should they look like?
- Investment-Related Dispute Settlement: Towards an inclusive multilateral approachThis document outlines results from an IISD expert meeting discussing investment-related dispute settledment which was held in Montreux, Switzerland, May 23–24, 2016
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly, Volume 6, Issue 4, November 2015Does the Green Economy Need Investor–State Dispute Settlement? Read more in our quarterly periodical on investment law and policy.
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly, Volume 6, Issue 3, August 2015This issue explores the new Brazilian Agreement on Cooperation and Facilitation of Investments (ACFI); the legal regimes governing farmland investments and water rights in Africa; and new ideas to empower U.S. and European workers in TTIP.
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly, Volume 6, Issue 2, May 2015In this issue:The Merits and Limitations of General Exception Clauses in Contemporary Investment...
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly, Volume 5, Issue 4, November 2014In this issue:In Accordance with Which Host State Laws? Restoring the ‘Defence’ of Investor...