Sophia is the Senior Specialist, Agriculture, Trade and Investment within the Economic Law and Policy Program. Her work focuses on costing the implementation of ending hunger sustainably and agricultural transformation.
Sophia is a food systems and international economy expert with 25 years of professional experience as a program director, policy analyst, and writer, working with decision-makers, civil society, media and the academy. She served two-terms as a member of the High Level Panel of Experts to the UN Committee on World Food Security, is chair of the board of ActionAid USA, and was a Senior Advisor to the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy (Minneapolis).
Sophia is fluent in English and French, with basic Spanish. She resides in Canada.
- We Need a Global Stimulus Package to Avoid a COVID-19 Hunger Crisis The loss of income for billions of people could be the most devastating effect of the COVID-19 pandemic, and it's directly connected to a pending hunger crisis.
- IISD Contributes to Inclusive and Resilient Food Security Food systems are on the front lines of nearly all urgent global challenges. That is why agriculture and food security are such a vital part of IISD’s work.
- Agricultural Bias in Focus This paper provides further details and explains how to measure and understand the source of agricultural bias in a country, including examples and country case studies.
- The Farmer and Her Husband: Legal innovations for women in contract farming Read our policy brief to learn how contracts, if designed with women’s interests in mind, can help foster more balanced relationships between farmers and buyers, as well as female farmers and their husbands.
- How IISD Is Contributing to Inclusive, Global Food Security We are proud to announce the Canadian Food Security Policy Group (FSPG) recently confirmed IISD as an associate member.