Matthew Bliss is the Deputy Director responsible for helping Intergovernmental Forum on Mining, Minerals, and Sustainable Development (IGF) member governments leverage their mineral wealth for sustainable development and poverty reduction, focusing on their program and technical needs and related strategic partnerships.
He has over 25 years of leadership experience in mine development and community engagement. Prior to joining the IGF, Matthew worked in senior positions with Cordaid, Centerra Gold and Inmet Mining. He also sits on a number of Boards, including EITI International, the International Water Association and Better Coal.
Matthew has a degree in geology from the University of Waterloo and a certificate in environmental assessment from Lakehead University. He is based in Ottawa, Canada.
- IGF Mining Policy Framework Assessment: Jamaica This report first presents Jamaica’s development, mining, and legal contexts. It then highlights the key strengths and gaps in Jamaica’s mining policies and laws across six thematic areas before making recommendations for further capacity building and reform.
- Mining Project Rehabilitation and Closure Guidelines: Papua New Guinea This document provides guidance for the administration, regulation and monitoring of the rehabilitation and mine closure obligations in Papua New Guinea.
- IGF Mining Policy Framework Assessment: Kyrgyzstan This report presents the mining policy framework (MPF) assessment for Kyrgyzstan, with a view to helping the government target its efforts in implementing the MPF.
- IGF Mining Policy Framework Assessment: Rwanda This report presents the assessment results for Rwanda, with a view to helping the government target its efforts in implementing the IGF Mining Policy Framework, while informing capacity-building efforts and allowing for monitoring of progress over time.
- 2016 IGF Annual Report The achievements and objectives of the Intergovernmental Forum on Mining, Minerals, Metals and Sustainable Development (IGF) are detailed in its first annual report.
- IGF Mining Policy Framework Assessment: Suriname An assessment of Suriname’s readiness and capacity to implement the Mining Policy Framework (MPF) of the Intergovernmental Forum on Mining, Minerals, Metals and Sustainable Development (IGF).