Charles Thrift is a project manager for IISD’s Knowledge for Integrated Decisions program.
Charles is the lead on many of IISD’s projects relating to community and sustainability indicator systems, including Peg, a community indicator system that tracks indicators that reflect and measure the community well-being in Winnipeg.
In addition, Charles has contributed to a diverse range of projects, including research related to national and international indicator systems, ecological evaluations of agricultural sectors and commodity chains, and research related to energy and life-cycle analysis. His interests include open data and data visualization, indicators for community sustainability and well-being, and the role of knowledge in governance and decision making.
- Comprehensive Wealth in Canada—Measuring what matters in the long runThis report seeks to introduce the concept of comprehensive wealth to Canadians and outline why it should be considered an essential complement to the other measures such as gross domestic product.
- Why We Are Excited About Canada's 2016 CensusCharles Thrift explains why our Knowledge program shares Canadians' enthusiasm for the 2016 Census.
- Bottom-up Accountability for Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): Are subnational indicator systems aligned?This briefing note evaluates, as a test case, alignment between subnational sustainable development indicators and the new Sustainable Development Goal indicators.
- Our City: A Peg Report on Health EquityThis report shines a light on the gap between the groups in Winnipeg experiencing the highest and lowest health status, and why that gap exists.
- Economics and Sustainability: IISD begins work to measure Canada's wealth and continues to examine models used to count the economic costs of climate change The Ivey Foundation has funded IISD to prepare an inclusive wealth report for Canada. This one-page document outlines the issue, and describes what the report will look like, and what its purpose is.
- Our City: A Peg report on Winnipeg’s well-beingOur City is Peg’s first overall well-being report to the community.It provides an overview of...
- GovernAbilities: The nexus of sustainability, accountability and adaptability. Essential tools for successful governance in the 21st centuryGovernments today are challenged more than ever in three operational areas: pursuing sustainable...
- Sustainable Consumption and Production (SCP): Targets and Indicators and the SDGsThe United Nations and its Member States are currently crafting a post-2015 development agenda to...
- Measuring the Performance and Impact of Community Indicators Systems: Insights on frameworks and examples of key performance indicatorsCommunity indicator systems (CISs) are growing in number across North America, Europe, and...
- Using Emergy to Value Ecosystem Goods and ServicesThe emergy (not to be confused with energy) approach is an attempt to comprehensively measure and...